Friday, March 6, 2015

UB/ Mongolia - Eye-Opener!

Stereotypes in UB:
1.     All people lead a nomadic life living in yurts.
2.     They have a long life.
3.     Everyone can ride a horse.
4.     Their skin is very white and bright because they live in the coldest place of the world.
5.     Buddhists monks in UB usually had worn a yellow cap from mid 1600 - 1921.
6.     Mongolian women in general are very headstrong, warrior like.
7.     Men are scary and act like a savage.
8.     They’ve never heard of a microwave, a vacuum cleaner.
9.     Genghis Khan was the founder and great Khan of the Mongol Empire, which became the largest contiguous empire in history after his demise.
1.     Sheep and horse milk

Myths:
1.     Mongolian can’t live in the warmer place because their heart is different with the normal people.
2.     Mongolian is attached to the horse in every time.
3.     The newborns use the horse milk, instead of the breast milk.

Media Bias:
The Mongolian press began in 1920 with close ties to the Soviet Union under the Mongolian Communist Party. Until reforms in the 1990s, the government had strict control of the media and oversaw all publishing, in which no independent media was allowed.  The dissolution of the Soviet Union had a significant impact in Mongolia, where the one-party state grew into a multi-party democracy, and with that, media freedoms came to the forefront. The Mongolian media currently consist of around 300 prints and broadcasting outlets.  Since 2006, the media environment has improved by the government debating a new Freedom of Information Act, and the removal of any affiliation of media outlets with the government.

Conclusion:
I think this assignment like a travel tour by myself. Everything I got from the Internet, from my family narrative. It is hard to say I can understand everything about UB, but I have learned the important keys at least. This assignment encourage me research and study another culture, which is totally different from mine. It is a challenge for graphic design student. As the specific of graphic designer, I will work with multicultural clients, in order to understand and work well; I do have research their cultural. It is really important in success of the design outcome. Learning another culture is not only improving the knowledge, but also my thinking is practicing. It helps my reflection ability increase since I research every aspects of a culture.
My favorite part in this assignment is preliminary research. At first sight, it is very simple, however, it is a foundation of the whole research. I can base on the data from the preliminary research in order to complete the following parts.
Although this research is virtual and all information I got is from the Google, but, it is a perfect framework for anyone who have a plan to travel to somewhere.
In the future, whatever I work, wherever I travel, I can use this assignment as one detail research about where I’ll come. Now, when I travel to UB, Mongolia, at least I have learned their lifestyle, weather, and job opportunity, even the taboo.  It helps me save time to adapt to a new place, a new culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment